We all do it. It’s that voice in your head right before the gun goes off. Or the quiet time at the edge of the water before everyone assembles. Here are 5 keys to making the most of your pre-race pep talk:
- Keep it simple, clear, meaningful and powerful. What is the outcome you want? Keep that message clear.
- Evoke previous success for confidence. Think about a time during a race you felt confident and you succeeded. When moments get tough, evoke that feeling.
- Tell yourself what you need to focus on to race your best. You need to stay in the moment. You need to hydrate and fuel. You want to run a xx minute mile. Take note between your needs and your wants.
- Remember that there is nothing to lose and everything to win. Don’t be afraid to take a chance.
- Make a decision to enjoy each moment. When moments get tough, a simple smile can do wonders.Above all, learn what makes YOU tick…and then share that with your Coach. That information can be recalled for each race.
And, if all else fails…just Dance.
Adapted from The Champions Mind. How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive